AccessDubuque.com

It anniulates, er, anneyehulates, er, really hurts grass
Last updated on August 17, 2010 at 08:39 AM
my_mower.jpg

It ain't easy bein' green. It ain't easy on my arms, I mean.
After I complained for the one-zillionth time about our gas-powered mower's inconsistent ability to start, my wife Jill solved our lawn care problems by obtaining a vintage push reel mower (pictured).
Following two days of work mowing (an admittedly too high) front and backyard lawns, I can deliver the following verdict on our mower:
"Owwww... My arms are killing me..."
Seriously, I like the idea of a push reel mower in theory. It's an environmentally friendly option (unless you happen to be a blade of grass).
In practice, I am preoccupied by three observations concerning my use of the push reel mower:
1. Mowing a lawn with a push reel mower can be a struggle if your grass is too high. The lengthy blades of grass clog the mower’s blades.
2. The push reel mower must have been designed by a sadistic grass-hating genius. It doesn't just cut grass, it anniulates grass with spinning blades tossing up a furious shower of clippings.
3. I have never been able to spell "annihilates."
I have made a vow to myself regarding our push reel mower. Henceforth, I will mow the lawn twice a week. I can't let the grass grow so tall again. My arms won't stand for it.

Erik Hogstrom
Bio: Erik is in his 11th year at the Telegraph Herald, covering health care, human services, weather, technology and other topics.

Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs